antioxidant, chemoprotective, anti-carcinogenic, anti-mutagenic, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-rheumatic, chrondoprotective, UV protective, radioprotective, anti-inflammatory, osteoprotective, hypoglycemic.
Medicinal uses supported by preliminary studies:
- reduce cancer risk and progression (including ovarian, prostate lung, gastrointestinal, breast, skin, leukemia, bladder.
- protect from UV radiation (internal and external use), and from radiation therapy side effects.
- prevention of cardiovascular disease, including coronary artery disease, and prevention of hypertension.
- improve vascular function and reduce low-density-lipoprotein oxidation.
- decreasing cartilage destruction in Rheumatoid Arthrtis, Osteoarthritis, periodontal disease.
- decrease risk of osteoporosis and related fractures by regulating bone metabolism, particularly when associated with exercise.
- increasing satiety.
- obesity and over eating.
- decreases / management of blood sugar.
- decrease sebum production to treat acne.
- eye damage and ocular inflammation.
- decrease risk of death from pneumonia.
- modulation of immune response in autoimmunity.
- prevent or slow cognitive dysfunction/degradation.
- chelating heavy metals.
Contra-indications:-may be inappropriate for patients with insomnia who are sensitive to caffeine; caution should be for patients with heart conditions due to risk of tachycardia; limit of 1-2 cups per cay during pregnancy and lactation.
Cautions:-over consumption may cause problems due to caffeine content, sensitive people may experience nervousness, sleep disorders, vomiting, headache, epigastric pain, tachycardia; aluminium content may cause accumulation especially problematic for patients with renal disorders; disruption of iron bioavailablity is a concern for anaemic patients; diuretic effect should be monitor and dosage limited accordingly.